Monday, August 9, 2010

"Yes!" Moment #7

"Three bullets!" - from The Deer Hunter (1978)


“We do three bullets! One… two… three…” Oh, yeah, this is the tensest escape scene ever filmed. Often a “Yes!” Moment comes in a scene so gripping you find yourself tightly gripping your seat, a Junior Mints box, someone’s hand (that’s the best). This is definitely that kind of scene.

Three bullets! That’s bad odds, Michael! But this is Mighty Michael, and this is way up there on my list of Robert De Niro performances, second only to Taxi Driver. Just look at Bobby’s face! What a great actor!

This movie really socked me in the gut - the first great movie-going experience I had in the States after three years overseas in Morocco with the Peace Corps. It really got to me emotionally, I had that hand to hold, and Robert De Niro became my man. (I had recently seen Taxi Driver in French in a cinema in Rabat, Morocco.)

See also "Yes!" Moment #1

No comments: